Step 1 - Applying for Petition to Return
To begin the process of applying for a Petition to Return from a full withdrawal with extenuating circumstances, students must complete a Petition to Return Request form. Students must complete this form no matter the reason surrounding the withdrawal with extenuating circumstance.
Step 2 - Submitting Supporting Documentation
- Student must have been seen by their provider a minimum of 3 times post withdrawal approval date. If student did not, medical provider must state the reason as to why this was not completed
- Student must have a Petition to Return Form completed by each doctor that they are currently seeing as well as a letter of support to include the dates of treatment and recommendations for the students return (form must be faxed to our office from the doctor 704-687-1969)
- Student must have completed all the requirements of the treatment plan that was laid out in the original Health Evaluation Form. If student did not complete treatment, medical provider must list the reasons why requirements were not completed
Supporting Documentation must clearly show the following:
- Diagnosis and relevant medical history
- Medications and current treatment moving forward
- Confirmation of completion of treatment plan
- Resulted outcome(s) of treatment during the students time away from campus
If you were withdrawn for reasons that were not medical in nature, please discuss with the Withdrawal Advisor what type of supporting documentation might be needed.
All documentation must be faxed to 704-687-1969 OR mailed to: Withdrawal Advisor, King 118, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223. NO EXCEPTIONS: documentation must come directly from the medical provider. Our office WILL NOT accept documentation that is hand delivered by the student/family member/friend.
Step 3 - Submission Deadlines
Request Form and Supporting Documentation must be submitted NO LATER than 5pm on the date listed below:
|Summer I and II 2019||May 2, 2019|
|Fall 2019||August 1, 2019|
|Spring 2020||November 1, 2019|
No exceptions will be made! Reinstatement is based on the student's readiness to manage an academic course load and safely function in our community. The Withdrawal committee has full authority on the return date that a student will be eligible to return to take classes. The Withdrawal committee will notify the student and other necessary University offices in writing of the determination, and if approved, whether any conditions will apply.
Appealing a Petition to return Denial:
Students are able to appeal a denial of their Petition to Return within 3 calendar days of receiving their denial letter. Students can email the Director of Student Assistance and Support Services, Larry Gourdine, at email@example.com with their justification for an appeal of the decision. The appeal must come from the student. Any appeals sent from parents/guardians/siblings/partners/others will not be accepted. The decision of the appeal is final.
Step 4 - Check in Meeting with Staff member
All students who are approved to return from a withdrawal with extenuating circumstance will be required to meet with a Student Assistance and Support Services staff member within the first 6-8 weeks of the semester in which the student returns. This meeting will be a time to check in and see how the student is doing. The student and the staff member will create an action plan to help the student succeed while reviewing the recommendations from the committee. When the student's Petition to Return is approved, they will receive a letter with further instructions about this meeting and any next steps. Failure to attend this meeting will result in a registration hold being placed on the student's account.
Readmission after Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances
Students approved for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances may be subject to the readmission policy if they are not enrolled at UNC Charlotte for 12 consecutive months regardless of circumstances. More information about the readmission policy can be found here.